Always tricky, these – look at the gloomy forecasts for Brexit – but nevertheless Buying Business Travel magazine has taken a punt on a few fairly safe bets for the meetings sector, as follows.
- Costs per attendee per day will remain flat in Europe, with modest increases in North America and Asia Pacific.
- Average group size will stay the same in Latin America, but rise by 3-6% everywhere else.
- UK event organisers will book more of their meetings in the UK due to the devalued pound, rather than now more expensive Europe.
- European organisers will also book more of their meetings in the UK, due to the devalued pound.
- Buyers will face a 6.9% rise in accommodation rates at UK venues.
Looks like 2017 could be a bonanza year for UK venues and other suppliers to the events industry, as a result of Brexit.