These include, according to event caterers Tapenade :
- Middle Eastern grain freekeh (pronounced fari-kah) to replace quinoa as trendy alternative to rice or couscous.
- More imaginative fillings for sliders (mini-burgers) than minced beef or chicken, such as mushrooms, fish, shellfish or duck, and with range of complementary accompaniments.
- More delegate choice with food stations, and giant utensils used to cook and serve, food stall style.
- More unusual/exciting receptacles for food, following on from chips in mini deep fat fryers etc.
- Japanese influences to continue beyond sushi.
- Items delivering a bitter taste to proliferate, though hopefully balanced with sweetness.